Launched in 1992, the agents at Victoria Sanders & Associates LLC endeavor to represent a diverse and exciting array of writers of both fiction and non-fiction.
Our clients include:
- International bestselling author Karin Slaughter whose thrillers have cumulatively sat on bestseller lists worldwide 2360 weeks (45+ years.)
- Denmark’s Queen of Crime, international bestselling author Sara Blaedel who has been read by over 25% of the Danish population and is taking America by storm.
- International bestselling author Sarah Pekkanen whose wonderfully heartfelt, laugh out loud books are embraced by readers of Jennifer Weiner, Emily Giffin, and O Magazine.
- Multiple New York Times bestselling author and journalist Denene Millner.
- Pulitzer Prize and New York Times bestselling author Nick Chiles.
- American Book Award winner Jeff Chang whose books on music and race are considered seminal classics and whose freshman book Can’t Stop, Won’t Stop was singled out in Billboard Magazine 100 Music Books of the 20th century at #8.
- International bestselling novelist Carolina De Robertis
- Critically acclaimed and beloved novelist Amy Hatvany whose engrossing novels on social issues burrow deep inside us.
- Sahar Delijani whose debut novel Children of the Jacaranda Tree sold in over twenty countries in short order.
- Acclaimed chef, restauranteur and taste maker Alexander Smalls whose recent restaurant The Cecil in Harlem was named the Best Restaurant in America 2015 by Esquire Magazine.
- Winner of the PEN Center Award, and William C. Morris YA Debut Award Finalist, The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender by Leslye Walton
- New York Times bestselling cartoonist, Maris Wicks, who is part of the National Science Foundation’s Antarctic Artists & Writers Program.
And a host of newcomers likes former Atria/Simon& Schuster editor Greer Kessel Hendrick and Sarah Pekkanen’s joint thriller The Wife Between Us, Legendary film journalist Thelma Adam’s debut novel The Last Woman Standing, American treasure and Librarian Nancy Pearl’s debut novel George & Lizzie, Thrillerfest Director KJ HOWE’s debut thriller The Freedom Broker which received pre-submission blurbs from Lee Child, Michael Connelly, Karin Slaughter, and a who’s who of international bestselling thriller writers.
View Master List of Books Sold
I founded the agency in 1992 after post law school stints in the legal/contracts departments of Simon & Schuster and two literary agencies. With a multi-cultural roster of international bestselling and award winning authors, I endeavor to seek out and champion new and diverse voices and view points. I have been a literary agent for 25 years and take great pride in having represented many of my clients for their entire careers. I am honored to work with an extraordinary group of writers and thinkers who grace this agency with their talent.
I’m originally from Buffalo and spent my college years at Notre Dame. My first publishing gig was an internship at Zachary Shuster Harmsworth, and I’ve been fortunate enough to be with Victoria Sanders & Associates since 2008. Mom says I’ve had a book with me as long as I’ve been able to hold one, and as far as I can remember that’s largely true. The Hardy Boys and Goosebumps eventually gave way to the likes of Jennifer Egan, Ernest Hemingway, Kurt Vonnegut, and so on, but I still enjoy spending time in places like Westeros or Hogwarts. In addition to building my list of clients, which includes Daniel Polansky, Michael Fiegel, and Michael Piafsky, among others, I also act as director of foreign rights for the agency. I have eclectic taste and welcome submissions in most areas, although I’m less likely to be interested in things like self-help or religion. I love all fiction, especially literary, fantasy, and spy thrillers. On the non-fiction side, I’m interested in books on subjects that have received little to no prior coverage, especially if it involves history, science, business, economics, personal finance, anthropology, film and television, or sports, but feel free to contact me about other subject areas. Please be sure to include roughly three chapters (or about 25 pages) in the body of your email query, as noted on our submission guidelines page.
After completing a Master’s Degree in Writing at Portland State University, and spending several years in-house (first editorial, then marketing) I began agenting in 2005. I have worked with VSA since 2010. I am drawn to strong story telling in all genres, though I have a special interest in thrillers, contemporary novels, magical realism, young adult, and books for kids. I am also open for pop-culture, gift books, and memoir. I love smart writing, high concept books, work with great emotional resonance, and humor. I am always looking for authors with a distinctive voice. I’ve represented a number of New York Times bestselling and award winning writers and illustrators, including Leslye Walton, Faith Erin Hicks, Tony Cliff, Maris Wicks, Liv Constantine, and Carson Morton, to name a few.